Retail Software Testing
Retail companies depend on software. From POS systems, inventory and supply chain management, to e-commerce, billing and payment gateway tools; all must be combined and integrated into a seamless system and then rolled out to various web and mobile platforms. The right software in the right combination will drive the user experience and ultimately sales, all while ensuring data security and collecting reliable data for follow up marketing
The challenge? Combining and integrating all the pieces and parts of the retail software and POS systems in a fast-changing environment where inventory is being updated, promotions are constantly changing, designers are tweaking the user interface, and marketing are conducting A/B tests to determine how they can positively impact the user experience and influence user behavior.
To meet these challenges requires attention to detail, retail domain knowledge for software testing, and a focus on quality. The solution; effective retail software testing. For many companies, the demand for increased sales and improved ROI outpaces the need for thorough testing of POS software and e-commerce systems, leading to POS application release before they’re ready and services that don’t provide enough consumer protection. This often results in news coverage that you don’t want. Retail application testing from XBOSoft is the answer — our experts have the software testing in retail domain knowledge and ability to assess your current software, suggest critical improvements and design effective metrics.
Download this white paper on Retail and Ecommerce: Digital Transformation and What It Means For Software QA to learn how to manage these complex issues.
The Retail Reality
While QA & POS testing may not be the priority for a brick-and-mortar operation, testing e-commerce and POS applications is top priority for companies looking to drive online sales and generate global interest. Each retail business has its own strategy and no retail use-cases are identical. At XBOSoft, we know the retail industry cannot be generalized. We’ve built our reputation on understanding these differences and use this specialized knowledge to choose the right approach. They say it’s the details that count. And that certainly is the case in many platforms that we test based on different technology stacks. For instance, platforms such as Demandware Commerce Cloud, come with test scripts, but once you modify the platform to implement your site, these test scripts become out of date and fail. The result is that many sites go untested leading to vulnerabilities. To combat this, XBOSoft developed a Demandware testing program specifically for that platform.
Our customized approach to retail software testing focuses on:
- Data integrity: Retailers need information at the right time and place, but this data must be accurate and complete. Data verification is paramount in all aspects of retail, from inventory to sales. One simple error could have unknown consequences with a large price tag.
- User experience: Quality means more than apps functioning as designed — the concept also includes user experience as a key part of application impact. In a market dominated by always-connected mobile devices and on-demand information, users want more than just functionality. As a result, usability assessment and testing are critical. Does your retail software exceed user expectations and does the user encounter any friction in moving through your primary user stories?
- Reliability and Performance: Any downtime is too much. In an era where customers can easily switch to another product via SaaS-based business models, you can’t afford to be down. Through benchmarking and metrics based performance testing, XBOSoft ensures our clients’ applications and systems maintain their reliability and accuracy.
- Security: Software security testing services are designed to mitigate this risk. Typically, the process begins with security auditing: Which applications are at risk? What is their most likely risk vector? POS systems and POS software have many exposure points that if compromised expose network services to hacker attack. In-depth vulnerability scanning is needed to determine specific points of weakness from all angles and entry points.
- Mobile: Users access retail applications not only via the web from across the globe, but also with a growing number of mobile devices. It’s no longer enough to conduct retail application testing for a small subset of devices; your software must accommodate any device, anytime and anywhere — without compromising function or form. A simple button that is moved slightly to the left can cost you.
XBOSoft – Retail Software Testing Case Study for SurfStich
Stories are a powerful medium for conveying information and there’s no better method of storytelling in business than using your customer’s voice in a data-backed case study. Our case study format covers the client, a review of their QA challenges, XBOSoft’s solutions and associated results, and words from our partner.
SurfStitch Group is an industry leading online global action sports and youth culture network that has evolved from a pure-play online retailer to become a destination for customers to connect with everything action sports related. Together, SurfStitch Group’s websites serve a unique customer audience of over 6 million, representing a digital ecosystem capable of capturing and influencing all points of the surf and action sports lifestyle cycle. SurfStitch Group’s online retail business serves clients in Europe, Asia and North America, and needs to be able to process transactions in multiple currencies, handle deliveries and returns, as well as requiring daily updates to display promotions and new products.
Check out our SurfStitch Case Study to learn how partnering with XBOSoft enabled SurfStitch to benefit from a wide range of XBOSoft’s software testing solutions and expertise.
Software now drives ROI for retail organizations. Make sure your online presence, POS software, POS application services and mobile offerings are stable, secure and streamlined — talk to one of our retail software testing experts today and discover how we can help improve retail software quality and confidence.