Issues in Testing Complex Web Apps
Besides the typical test plan items that we check off as we go through and develop our test strategy, we’ve gathered a wealth of experience in testing complex web apps that offer their own challenges. For instance:
- Test data preparation is required with a comprehensive understanding of the product and system. By utilizing deep knowledge of the product and its dependencies, we’re able to develop and automate test data preparation as well as utilize API testing and Database testing to facilitate efficiencies when the front end is not operational yet or in a dynamic state.
- Reproducing client issues requires quite an amount of investment from different departments and teams because of the particular environment, data, and settings for each particular client.
- Permutations of possible test paths explode, so understanding how to prioritize for different situations and contexts to test what’s most important within a short time is critical as testing is always pushed to the end. In these cases, we’ve found that targeted regression testing combined with test automation can increase effectiveness manyfold if done judiciously.
- The number of website users may increase over time, thus the total number of users is likely to exceed the originally designed upper limit. This will inevitably lead to poor response time and adversely affect the user experience so it’s important to benchmark performance for key user functions and scenarios on a regular basis.
- Compatibility issues with different operating environments used by users, such as different computer operating systems, different browsers, even different resolutions used, etc… will change over time. While some platform combinations become less used, other new ones may become predominant. Understanding when to cross some platforms off the list, while adding new platforms can save significant amounts of effort.
Web App Testing Services – Case Study
XBOSoft possesses over 13 years of web application testing experience, working with clients big and small, near and far. The selected Case Study below gives a good example of the long-term web testing services we have been providing to clients over the years.
BlackLine (Case Study) is a leading provider of cloud-based solutions that transform Finance and Accounting (F&A) by automating, centralizing, and streamlining financial close operations, intercompany accounting processes, and other key F&A processes for large enterprises and midsize organizations.
The Blackline Continuous Accounting platform integrates a complex array of applications covering account reconciliations, task management, journal entry, transaction matching, variance analysis, compliance, smart close, and an intercompany hub. Partnering with XBOSoft since 2008 has allowed BlackLine to benefit from a wide range of XBOSoft’s software and web testing solutions and expertise, such as test automation with platform compatibility, full and targeted regression testing, internationalization testing, functional testing, usability testing, and API testing.
Web application testing is an integral part of developing a high-quality high performing website. Contact XBOSoft today to empower your testing and get ahead of your online competition.