Software Functional Testing
Does your software do what it’s supposed to do? Are all core functions present and accounted for? Do they work as intended? Ensuring that what you’ve designed performs as you expect is the purpose of functional testing — and is critical for any newly created software or application.
XBOSoft’s functional testing services give you peace of mind that your software doesn’t just work, but does what your users want and expect. Using our best practices functional testing framework, we thoroughly cover all crucial areas of functionality, from UI to platform compatibility.
Functional Testing Services
Functional software testing covers a broad range of solution functionality, including:
- User interface (UI) testing — This type of testing is critical because features are useless if users can’t figure them out. Can users of varying skill levels easily access and use the application? UI testing for web applications is especially critical where poor usability or slow performance can lead to user dissatisfaction, even when there are no defects.
- Functionality testing — Without core functionality, your software will never meet user needs. XBOSoft transforms requirements into test cases by utilizing best practice test case design. This includes databases, install/config, upgrade and networking features, and ensures a solid foundation for your software deployment.
- API Testing – These days, with software development lifecycles being so short and the usage of third-party modules and interfaces on the rise, it’s important to get ahead of the curve and test APIs with each build and release. If the APIs don’t work, not much will.
- Data verification testing — Is data handled consistently throughout your application? Our functional testing ensures that data integrity, calculations and formulas are consistent throughout the application.
- Regression testing — Software development and features planned and released are in a constant state of flux. This type of functional software testing uses a strategy customized to your software’s feature set, release schedule and risk profile to ensure that new changes don’t impact existing functions while ensuring maximum coverage with least effort through highly targeted regression.
- Platform and user compatibility — Does your software perform consistently across multiple platforms? With platform proliferation continuing to increase, it’s important to know how and when to use a multiparameter matrix approach to identify potential areas of concern.
- User acceptance testing — Are expected functions and shortcuts available to users? Do they feel that the application meets their expectations? Acceptance testing ensures you’ve hit the mark.
Our Functional Testing Methodology
At XBOSoft, we’ve chosen a functional testing design to provide the broadest base possible for software evaluation. By leveraging various tools and platforms, we ensure that your applications experience the same challenges in a testing environment they will encounter in the wild.
This foundation, combined with our structured test methodology, includes:
- Test Strategy, Planning and Control: Systematically evaluate risk and priorities to ensure effort is put in the right places. Develop a test plan for what should be tested, when, and with what resources.
- Test Preparation and Specification: Specify the infrastructure and test cases/use cases developed according to the test plan designed for each identified risk using a lightweight approach to adapt to changing requirements.
- Test Evaluation and Improvement: Develop key test process indicators to evaluate, benchmark and improve. You can’t improve unless you know how you’re doing. Most don’t realize measuring and evaluating are critical activities for improvement.
Functional testing is an integral part of developing high-quality software and applications. Contact XBOSoft today to empower your testing and get ahead of development cycles.
Download this FREE updated version of our popular Agile Test Plan to get a head start on your agile software testing and make sure you don’t forget anything.