Selenium Software Testing Services
Ever increasing functionality comes at a cost of software complexity that grows over time in ways we may not expect. Test automation assists in ensuring that new, as well as the old functions, will perform as required and expected.
Why Open Source?
Many companies and users got their first taste of open source software though the Linux operating system. Over the years, open source code dramatically expanded to provide options for all users in almost all areas of software development and testing. There are numerous benefits to open source software beyond the “free” price. A few that come to mind are better security, higher quality, transparency of code base and updates, the freedom to customize, interoperability options among other technologies, and last but not least, a vibrant support community that generally ensures the code is incorporating the best standards available.
Why Selenium Software Testing?
Selenium has had a very active developer community for over a decade. It allows developers to write scripts in a number of popular programming languages, can be used in a variety of IDEs and supports testing frameworks such as JUnit and TestNG. This flexibility allows QA engineers to get up and running with Selenium quickly without the need to develop an extensive new skillset. Selenium can be configured with a variety of Web Drivers to simulate different browsers (e.g., Chrome, Firefox, Safari). It can also be integrated with add-on test development tools including (e.g., Maven w/ Jenkins) to support continuous integration, customized report generation, and distribution.
XBOSoft and Selenium Testing Software
Our experience with the Selenium Automation Testing Tool has been a long and winding road as our efforts with Selenium have not always been easy. While we’ve designed and implemented many test frameworks that have provided significant improvements in script execution speeds and script maintainability, we’ve learned many lessons that we keep in our knowledge base to ensure that our Selenium scripts and frameworks will be useful near-term as well as long-term.
Some of these key lessons include:
- Optimizing flexibility and efficiency while integrating with other key development tools (e.g., Jenkins).
- Solving compatibility issues between the Selenium WebDriver and the specific browser drivers created by outside parties (e.g., ChromeDriver is maintained by the Chromium project) that can often lead to crashes.
- Locating an element, irrespective of the type can be unreliable and we’ve learned many techniques in identifying elements and objects in the ‘best’ way given the context.
- Understanding where the Selenium automation testing tool is very capable (web application testing), where it is not ideal, such as working with Windows controls (e.g., file operations/dialog-box) that can sometimes occur when executing scripts and how to ‘work around’ these problems.
When running into issues like the ChromeDriver crash and other issues associated with test frameworks, we have been very successful in rapidly developing solutions to mitigate problems. This is one of the main reasons that we like Selenium and developing test frameworks – it is very flexible. Specifically, by extending TestNG, we have created a specialized framework that allows us to customize and optimize our test script development workflow while ensuring maintainability and robustness.
We truly believe that the key to our success is our talented team that is well experienced and suited to working with the Selenium software test framework solution. Our team possesses hundreds of years of combined test experience, and the Selenium Framework has proven an excellent, flexible instrument for us to conduct our automated tests. Through our experience, we have mastered Selenium and enhanced our capabilities by customizing and extending the TestNG framework. In addition, we have also customized our configurations to support, for example, new reporting functions allowing us to feed Jenkins test results back into a client’s Test Case Management system of choice.
What This Means For You
- Take advantage of the many benefits of open source software and implement a Selenium-based test automation framework.
- Get quick start-up benefits with XBOSoft, with years of experience under our belts, in solving complex selenium issues and adapting to many customers’ requirements.
- With XBOSoft’s expertise, get a Selenium automation testing tool framework that lasts and will grow with you with optimal maintenance effort.
- Rapidly increase your test automation coverage and improve your software quality.
- Complement your manual testing efforts by automating repetitive test tasks and thereby increasing the time for exploratory testing.
Contact XBOSoft today for more information.